Sunday, December 21, 2008

How can I Help?

Greetings –

This blog is set up to help photographers in a time of change and struggles in our industry. I feel that Digital is both a blessing and curse for professional photographers. We are producing incredible images. Retouching and image enhancement that was impossible or extremely expensive in the past is now within our grasp, and our creativity and imagination can run rampant. Our every day bread and butter images are better than ever. However, our sales fall and we struggle for survival.

As we struggled with the transition of film to digital, the consumer (our clients) took to the technology change faster than we did. The computer age is upon us and they were looking for more ways to use their computers. With affordable enhancement software they could manipulate images and print them on their “photo quality” printers. They could take an average snapshot put borders on it, change something or distort it, print it, and they now had a fancy average snapshot. Usually of poor quality, but that did not matter. They perceived it as free – so it is acceptable. This makes for tuff times for photography studios. They pushed aside the thought that a professional photographer has the skill, knowledge, experience, and creative talent to produce excellent images that capture the heart and sole of the subject.

I’ve been in this business many years, and have been through many transitions and transformations. I started as a one-man operation working out of a remodeled one-car garage. At one point I had two studios and a color lab, and12 employees. I’m now back to a one man operation. I’ve had a lot of success, and I’ve made a lot of mistakes.

From success and mistakes comes experience and knowledge. I can share that knowledge and experience with those in need of advice or help. My expertise is in portraits, weddings, lighting, camera room setup and design, digital photography, work flow, and studio operations. Quick questions can be addressed thru this blog. More in depth consultations are available. Let me know how I can help.

No comments: